Saturday, December 12, 2009

The Invisible Man

My children and I have just finished listening listening to The Invisible Man by Jules Verne on our car rides around town. The kids loved it and it's funny to listen to my 4-year-old playing "invisible man". While listening to it, I was struck with how close it was to the philosophical idea of Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment. The whole idea of the "super-man" pervaded both stories. I have to admit, I enjoyed The Invisible Man more, probably because he was so evil all the way through. It was an exciting story, almost a mystery, and the main character gets his comeuppance. Raskonikov in Crime and Punishment was convinced of his superiority until he commits a crime, but unfortunately for him, has some decency and ends up spending the rest of the book whining about his situation and ends up bringing a lovely, but very dysfunctional girl down with him.

No comments: